Doughnut miss this!
I love a good doughnut! So in honour of that love I’ve created six doughnuts that I would like to share with you. Here you can find the basic dough recipe as well as the peanut butter and jam topping! As an added bonus these babies are baked and not fried so there is definitely less guilt, they’re basically a diet food 😉
Subscribe to my blog to not miss out on the other five delicious topping ideas.
Baked peanut butter and jam doughnuts
- ½ cup milk lukewarm
- ½ Tbsp. instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp. butter melted, cooled
- ⅓ cup sugar white
- 1 egg
- 2½ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract –optional
PB and J Topping
- ½ cup of peanut butter smooth
- ¼ cup of raspberry jam
- In a large bowl combine the milk with the sugar and yeast. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Leave this to stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes until the mixture looks frothy and smells yeasty.
- To the yeast mixture add the butter while continuously stirring then add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the flour and mix until the dough holds together. This works best with a wooden spoon. If the mixture seems to dry you can add a teaspoon of milk but be careful not to make this mixture too sticky.
- On a clean kitchen counter knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is no longer sticky. The dough should look smooth.
- Form into a ball, place in a greased bowl and cover with a wet c towel to rise for an hour, the dough should double in size.
- After an hour punch down the dough and roll it out on a floured counter at 1.5cm thick. Cut out circles and cut out the doughnut holes with a doughnut cutter or whatever you have lying around. (Keep the doughnut holes to bake later- roll them in cinnamon sugar-thank me later)
- Transfer the cut doughnuts onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover the tray. Let the doughnuts rise for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Bake the doughnuts at 180°C for 8 minutes, they should only be slightly browned otherwise they dry out.
- Allow the doughnuts to cool and prepare the topping of your choice.
- 10. Topping Allow the doughnuts to cool down completely. Microwave the peanut butter for 20-30 seconds to soften it up. Cover the top of each doughnut with the peanut butter. Drizzle some jam over the top or if the doughnut has not hole put the jam in the centre.