I often wake up on a Saturday morning craving a breakfast that’s out of the ordinary. Normal breakfast routine for me is something that takes a maximum of 10 minutes i.e. a bowl of cereal, yoghurt and muesli or a slice of toast- I’m not a morning person! On Saturdays, however, I’m fortunate enough to have a lie in and I almost always wake up thinking about what I’m going to eat next. These muffins are super easy to make and because they are neither overly sweet nor completely savoury they are a great basis for a delicious breakfast. I enjoy eating them with strawberry jam and cheese but they are also delicious on their own. I included some coconut flour in the recipe as I like the flavour it lends to the muffins and they also make the texture of the muffin slightly more dense but if you’re fresh out simply use 2 cups of flour instead of 1 and 1/2 and leave the coconut flour out altogether.
Toasted Coconut and Oat breakfast muffins
1 ½ cups flour
½ cup coconut flour
¾ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and butter a muffin pan.
- Heat a saucepan over a medium heat and add the desiccated coconut and rolled oats. Toast while stirring continuously until the coconut starts changing to light brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool down. Set aside 3 teaspoons of this mixture to sprinkle over the top before baking.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar) in a large bowl. Add the toasted coconut and oat mixture and stir through.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, milk, and butter.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir only enough to dampen the flour, the mixture can still be slightly lumpy.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pans about two-thirds full. Sprinkle over the reserved coconut and oat mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.